On vacation I read the third book in the Twilight series and started the 4th (I'm halfway through). The more I read the more annoyed I became (granted, I still did not put the book down and continue to read because I'm so intrigued at what is going to happen). As I was talking to Keith last night we finally wrapped our fingers around what the character flaw is that bugs me so much. Bella never seems to have any real consequences to her actions. It's like the whole Twilight world revolves around making sure she is happy in the end, no matter what. Her character seems to constantly change to meet the situation too (she has no defined character traits it seems, just defined desires).
Ok, picture it. You are a happily married woman, married to the man of your dreams. Ex-boyfriend who you still have feelings for shows up at your wedding. He is still madly in love with you. Your darling husband decides to waltz you over to him and hand you over for a few dances, just because it will make you happy. Oooh. What a sweetheart. No. He is an idiot that is allowing himself to be emotionally abused. Not only is he playing into her hands, he's also handing the same allowance to another man. He is enabling this characterless girl to do whatever she wants. I could NOT imagine Keith just handing me over to an exboyfriend o' mine and not feeling hurt in the least bit when I declared undying love for that other man too on my wedding day (no, I'm not in love with anyone but Keith, just making a point).
In Stephanie Myer's perfect world Bella gets everything she wants, no one will ever have to really deal with the consequence of an action (for example: she never allows a main character to die as a result of being involved with vampires), and everyone wins in the end (Yeah! Jacob now has something to look forward too. Heaven forbid he has to get over Bella in a normal way. (sarcastic insert)). I just think it's a little too lovey dovey happily ever after for the characters she has created. Shouldn't at least Charlie have been killed as a warning to Bella in book 3? That would have caught the readers attention and really given Bella a reason to faint. Better yet, what if Charlie was turned into a newborn that they had to destroy? Or, what if one of the vampires was at least partially destroyed in book 3 (and we all thought they were dead, but were somehow pieced back together, although would never be whole again). I dunno. Just give me a consequence and not make it so perfect for Bella.
Intriguing story, but with oh-so-many flaws...what's your opinion?
Moving on: What were they thinking when they shot this picture? And then printed it? He doesn't look like a sexy vampire. He looks like the dead or someone with sea sickness.
I liked Jenessa's version better. Kristen's sparkly chest says it all. (My sisters)

