Saturday, September 12, 2009

Carpe Viem 7

"You triumph over the adveristy, that's what the marathon is all about. Therefore you know there isn't anything in life you can't triumph after that." -Kathrine Switzer

(Kathrine helped break the belief that women were incapable of completing a marathon without keeling over dead when she and her boyfriend fought off (literally) race officials who tried to prevent her from completing the Boston Marathon).


Goal: 10-11 miles

Actual: 12.4 miles in 2 hours 15 minutes

Notes: Today was the day I had set for my goal to run my half-marathon, but due to circumstances out of my control I had to push it back a few weeks. Today I wanted to see what I was capable of doing and if I really can run this half-marathon in 2 weeks. I made a major mistake though, which I guess is part of the trial and error of learning to run long distances. I had seen these "energy shots" in stores by the protein bars and I decided to give it a try.


Halfway through my run (at 6 miles) I downed a protein bar to reboost my energy and then drank 3/4 of the energy shot. At 9 miles I desperately had to use a potty and raced over to McD's (which is just 2/10 of a mile off the head of the running trail). On a side note, I think I will cry if there aren't bathrooms along the course. I decided to finish one last leg of the trail afterwards(it's a 3 mile trail round trip which is how I ended up doing 12 miles instead of 10).

I have to say, I feel pretty happy that this is GOING to happen! I'm really going to be able to finish this half-marathon in two weeks!

When I got home I hopped in the shower, downed some oatmeal and tried to get ready to meet my brother and sister-in-law in NYC for the afternoon. I raced around trying to get laundry done, Lily taken care of, the house cleaned, etc. before I took off on the train. I started to feel worse and worse and then before I knew it things were looking a tad bit blurry and tipsy and I laid myself down on the ground before I fainted. My stomach was having an all time revolt at the same time that Lily was trying to take care of me by kissing me and bouncing up and down on me. Feeling too weak to move her, I smiled and endured it trying to reassure her that I was okay while I lay sweating and limp on the floor.

Keith found us a few minutes later and promptly took me to bed and brought me water and some saltines. A 1/2 package later of stale saltines and 2 huge glasses of water I felt capable of moving. I felt so sad when I had to call my brother and tell him I wasn't going to make it to NYC today. I'm a dufus. I always try to overdo it. I think the combination of not drinking enough and not taking in enough salt following my run, overdosing on caffeine, running around the house and the stress of trying to get out the door in time to catch the train brought my body to a screaching halt.

I'm fine now, but lesson learned. Cherie + energy shots= dumb idea. I also felt like I was cheating with "fake energy", so I'm doing my 1/2 marathon all natural baby!