Tuesday, August 10, 2010

2 year old damage control

Lily is keeping me busier than ever. Normally she is just a pleasant little girl to have around and mostly obedient and stays out of trouble. Today was an exception, albeit I DID ask her to help, so I will take some of the blame.

While Sawyer was taking his morning nap I had the brilliant idea that Lily and I could get the room upstairs prepped for painting together. I pulled out Keith's tools to take down some shelves and drug the vaccuum upstairs.

While I was unscrewing some of the shelves Lily had been playing with a plastic knife from her little food set. She told me she was working too. When I looked not even a minute later I saw that she had traded her pretend knife for a real screwdriver and was proceeding to jam it into an electrical outlet. I about jumped out of my skin as I whisked her away from that scene of danger and handed her the vaccuum hand attachment. I asked her to help me pick up the "white" stuff that had fallen onto the carpet. Then I heard a ka-chunk, ka-chunk and I saw her walking around picking up screws with the vaccuum hose. THAT wouldn't do. Then I thought, "She could clean the walls! Not dangerous at all!" I ran downstairs (don't ask me why I didn't bring her with me) with the tools and grabbed a few washclothes and brought them back up. I walked in to find she had removed the spackle lid and had gone to town on the wall (luckily it wasn't the carpet). Whisking that out of her hand, I gave her the washcloth and told her to wipe down one of the walls. I started to scrub off her spackling job and not even a second later I heard her say, "Mmm! Delicious mommy!" and I turned to see her pull a finger covered in spackle out of her mouth.

All of this happened in a 10 minute period.

Our mommy and me project ended promptly with me thanking Lily profusely for helping me (she was trying, so I didn't want her to feel bad) while rushing both of us downstairs so I could call poison control. Turns out spackling is non-toxic. Who knew? Pass me a spoon.

While I was on the phone with poison control Lily decided to set up a show. At least I ended the morning on a high note, plopped on the couch and clapping along with her audience.

Gotta love a 2 year old's help.