As a mom I often find moments where I am moaning, but perhaps knowing that in the future it will make me giggle takes the edge off of the painful moments I encounter. And sometimes, they are just making me giggle. We'll start from funny to gag.
Example 1: (Lilyisms & Our First Sawyerism)
Lily: I need you and Sawyer to be quiet for a moment.
Me: Okay. Why?
Lily: Because I'm having a dream about mermaids in my head.
Me: Right now?
Lily: Shhh!!!
Lily: Mom, I thought up a new rule for the car.
Me: What's that?
Lily: No more eating lettuce. It makes too big of a mess.
Me: Do we ever eat lettuce in our car?
In the car we have given up ever listening to radio, NPR, music, & silence. Lily literally talks nonstop in the car from the minute we take off until we arrive. Nonstop.
Lily: blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.
Sawyer: (exasperated, yells after a few minutes of this) STOP. TALKING.
Lily: *glares* blah, blah, blah, blah, blah
Sawyer: STOP! TALKING! STOP! TALKING! STOP! TALKING!
Keith and I fell into a fit of laughter. The silence that followed was so refreshing.
Example 2: (Wherein Lily Unknowingly Mimics Mama)
The other night we knelt down for prayer in Lily's room. As I swung the door closed both Keith and I gasped to see a large hole, just about knee level on the inside part of the door. We both looked at Lily in horror, but I had to sit this discovery/punishment out and let Keith do the talking.
You see, I was fascinated by the fact that my daughter, in a fit of anger, did something that I too had done in a fit of anger. Remember Dad/Mom that nice hole I put in the back of my door during an epic tantrum? Well, the egg doesn't fall too far from the nest in my house. Turns out she threw her chair at the door, which punctured a hole in it. Wouldn't be too bad if Keith hadn't replaced, painted, and cut those doors to fit perfectly when we first moved in.
Example 3: (Bathroom Incident, The Less Painful One)
I left the kids coloring at the table. Turning to Lily I said, "I need to run to the bathroom. Can you make sure Sawyer doesn't eat the markers or crayons while I am gone?"
When I returned a few minutes later I found that Lily had obeyed my instructions. Too bad I didn't mention to not let Sawyer color all over his body, and hers. With nonwashable markers.
Example 4: (Bathroom Incident, The Painful One)
The trail of poop.
About a month ago Lily had slept in. After Sawyer had finished his breakfast he was covered in oatmeal, and I decided to get him going on a bath while I helped Lily get her breakfast. I put him in the tub and came back to get Lily her breakfast and heard a THUMP, then the pitter patter of running feet. Sawyer stood at my feet looking up at me, grinning and buck nakey.
"Back in the tub Sawyer, I'll be there in a sec." I demanded. He took off and ran back to the bathroom.
I heard the splash of him jumping back in the tub, then a subsequent splash as he got back out of the tub. Followed by the pitter patter of little feet running to his bedroom.
"Sawyer? What are you doing buddy?" I called. Silence.
Then I heard, "Uh oh."
And he appeared at my feet wiggling his fingers at me, "C'mere."
And that's when I saw _ _it. The poop dripping down his leg onto my kitchen floor. Swallowing, I gingerly followed him as he ran to the bathroom, watching where I stepped. It was everywhere. In the tub, on the floor of the bathroom and I breathed in and out, in and out. It wasn't so bad.
And then I remembered the pitter patter to the bedroom.
I peeked in there, and to my horror I saw the train of thought that must have accompanied the pooping incident.
The footsteps leading to the changing table.
The wipes strewn about the area, some used, most not.
The trail leading to his toy bins. Where he sat down. Must have remembered because it looked like he took a few scoots back to see what was so squishy.
Then he heard me call and off he and his poopy feet ran down the hall.
Two days. That's how long it took me to clean that up properly. Two days. I won't gross you out further, but we'll just say that there was a lot of scrubbing.
It's a good thing they are so cute.

