First week of school? Excellent. It was a whopping two days.
Second week of school? Um, I think we went into overkill mode. EVERY day she came home crying, throwing a tantrum, and seemed to lose it. There was the initial ten minute hug, and the skipping to the car, then the stories of the day, followed by some trigger word (usually "No" from me) and BAM! Full fledged meltdown. By Thursday the meltdowns were happening before school too. These were the quotes I heard all week:
"You never spend any time with me anymore!"
"All you do is have fun, fun, fun with Sawyer all day long and then SEND ME AWAY."
"WHY DON'T I GET TO PLAY ALL DAY?"
"Don't you love me anymore? Why do you say: 'You have to do your homework! I need to make dinner! Take a bath! Go to bed!' You are NOT playing with me anymore."
"I am so SICK of being quiet. They make me sit at my seat and be so quiet all day. I DON'T WANT TO BE QUIET! I need to talk!"
"You are going to make me do more schoolwork? NO NO NO NO NO!"
"I don't want to go! I don't want to go!"
"I need a prize every day now. This is too much."
We'll just say, the transition is going well! She is struggling a little going from being a full-time kid to a full-time kindergartner (we have all day here).
The debate hasn't quite left my head over homeschooling. While I do love that she is having social experiences, there is this other conflicted part of me that really does miss her. I miss her chatter, her insights, and all the things we did together. Saturday I could NOT get enough of her. I took her to the zoo and we walked hand in hand almost the entire time.
One of the great parts of her going to school is the many things I am discovering about this little man. It's like he now feels like it's okay to start chatting. When Lily is around he sits back and lets her take the reigns and is quiet as can be. Then he follows her around the house most of the day, playing with her, poking her, fighting with her, etc., and only approaching me when there is a problem or he needs a hug or wants to make me laugh.
But now he is asking ME to play! He wants to tell me all about what he is observing in the car and on our walks! He wants to sit and learn with me. And I have to say, it is a lot of fun discovering what a great buddy he can be. Not that I was neglecting him, but I feel like our relationship is kind of opening up in a new way and I love it. He is loving that I ask him to help, and he jumps right on whatever task I give him. The other day he was SO proud of himself for peeling a cucumber all by himself. I was impressed he didn't cut himself!
But we do both miss Lily. When we go to pick her up after school the first thing she does is drop her back pack and go running straight for Sawyer. They have this cute little reunion where they both grin from ear to ear and they hug and cuddle and she kneels down to let him know and will look in his eyes to tell him how much she missed him. It's so sweet, and I love that they connect and miss each other.
We are all starting to get excited about the arrival of this little grump. I went in for my 20-week ultra sound this week (though I'm technically 22 weeks). He must have been in a bad mood. He turned his back on the technician, and curled up into a ball and refused to move. When she tried to take a picture of his face they all came out with hands over his eyes and a big frown. LOL, I love that in the 3D you can see how grumpy he is. He is healthy so far with no known complications. So hooray!
I'm starting to feel the movements now, which is making this seem a little more real. Luckily I have been insanely busy these past few weeks and it has been helping the time fly.