Recently I had an experience with someone near and dear to me that just needed to be heard. This person lashed out, uncharacteristically, and said some things that hurt, but when we finally were able to sit down and have a much needed conversation it dawned on me that all they wanted to do was be heard. Story after story came pouring out as they unleashed what was bottled within. After we hung up I sat back and took some time to think about how eager they were to share their stories and struggles. How this person was just waiting for someone to sit back and listen.
Often as soon as someone starts to tell their story, I have a hard time shutting down my own brain as I make connections and think of how to respond, or what I want to tell them, or how to keep the conversation going. It is hard sometimes to really listen to those we care and love about, and even to those we are just getting to know. It is something I want to work on, a characteristic that I want to develop, to be a great listener. I find myself telling my own brain to relax as I force myself to just listen to those I love, and to quit trying to solve their problems. Often they just want to be heard and know that their struggles and stories matter to someone.
I think that is one of the most beautiful things about prayer. We get to be listened too. I often wonder if my end of the line is plugged up, and if God really can hear the thoughts and whispers I send His way throughout the day, but I know that some of those thoughts go through loud and clear. The ones that matter the most. As a teenager and a young adult I often thought it unfair that we had to kneel down in prayer and would rarely get an answer in response. But now that I have little voices in my ear all day long, I find myself grateful that I have someone that will just listen to me.
Blogs are a beautiful place too, because I can pour my thoughts and memories out here, and I leave it up to anyone trying to tune into my channel to decide if they want to listen or not. It isn't quite as personal as prayer, and I don't expect answers here either, but it is a nice thought that perhaps someone is hearing what I have to say, and caring that my life continues on in this mortality.