2020 Pandemic:
1.4.2020
Australia catches on fire
1.7.2020
Grant turns 6.
This past Saturday I skiied for the 2nd time. It was such a great experience and I am so glad I gave it another try.
Let's talk about what it means to overcome fears. As adults I have noticed that we are ladened with fears: public speaking, injuries, putting ourselves out there, relationships, confronting issues that have bothered us for years.
Last year I went skiing for the first time. My sweet father-in-law paid for me to take a class as my Christmas present. It was a 2.5 hour class and it was awful. I didn't know what to expect, but I spent 2 hours on a small hill being instructed in miniscule details, told I was doing it wrong and that I needed to stay on this small slope (it was about 1/6 of a bunny slope). It. Was. Ridiculous. I kept peeking at my kids on the bunny slopes as they flew down. They were skiing for the first time too, and the were actually skiing. After lunch my FIL suggested we hit a real slope. It was one of the scariest things I have ever done in my life. After 2.5 hours of instruction I had NO clue what to do. I couldn't manage the slope and each inch was spent in sheer terror. My mantra as we made it down that mountain was, "You WILL do this Cherie. This is really scary, this is hard, but you are doing it. I can do hard things." Clearly I survived.
When he offered to take us up to the same mountain again as a present I admit I hesitated. After my first experience I was really worried. I tossed and turned ALL Friday night.
But I went, because overcoming fears is an important part of life. And my 2nd experience was amazing. My ski instructor this time around gave us 3 bits of instruction. Use our ankles, master stopping, and follow him. That was it. 10 minutes into my lesson he suggested we hit the bunny slope. The whole time down (my first time on a bunny slope) he was just teasing me the whole way. I relaxed, I had fun and I followed his 3 bits of instruction. After a few bunny hill runs he suggested we take a ski lift up to the top of the mountain.
I tried not to panic. I tried not to let my fears get the best of me. Instead I climbed on a ski lift as my heart raced. As we went up he sang us a silly song, "Relax the back, stand up straight, push on your boots, turn and smile!" He sang it over and over and we had to also. The whole way down the mountain. I was laughing. I made it down. And we did it again and again. Each time we went down he taught us a little bit more. The views made my heart soar. The feeling of the wind rushing around me as I conquered my fears and tried to push through them is a feeling I will never forget.
I can do hard things. In fact I'm going to try it again. I am really proud of myself for facing this fear. For staring it straight in it's snowy face. So here's the secret: we are afraid. And that's ok. But if we don't exercise our power over that fear we may never get the view that comes with overcoming said fear. We could spend the rest of our adult life sitting in front of the TV, avoiding those fears, but where is the fun in that?
1.20.2020
Costa Rica trip with Jessica and Matt
I was so nervous to go surfing for the first time. I just kept saying in my head, “You can do hard things! Come on Cherie!” And guess what! I stood up on the first wave
I caught. My instructor and I cheered like crazy! I loved it so much.
After a day of surfing
and
running (literally) around this cute beach town I was beyond exhausted. I fell asleep around 7pm and woke at 7am.
1.31.2020
I started to demolish our house. Keith was NOT happy with me, but if I didn't start, it would never get started. He came home from work to find I had ripped up all the tile by the front door.
2.2.2020
I cannot even tell you how full my heart is. This weekend I attended a bridal shower for my soon to be sister in law. My little brother, Kent, has truly found an amazing woman. She just feels like she needs to be my sister! I love her so much and my heart nearly bursts when I think of them.
But it just gets better! This past week my father in law, my Papa K, proposed to my dear friend Janet. I have been so grateful to have her in my life. When we moved to Utah she was the first to march up to my home and welcome me, then just enveloped me in her life as only she can. Her heart has a capacity to love unlike anyone. I admit I was gunning for this when I introduced them. Papa K called us in Costa Rica to let us know he had proposed, I was struggling to hold back the tears. They will go forward and be a force of so much good in the world.
So two weddings in a year!!! And a family that will grow exponentially. I am already in love with all my future inlaws and their families. 2020 is already shaping up to be an amazing year!!!
2.5.2020
Overcoming my fear of power tools. This is legit a big fear of mine. Saws are the worst. And it isn't a bright idea to use them when you are shaking. But I managed to use one yesterday, without losing any digits. I even dismantalled a toilet and sink!
2.9.2020
Yesterday we tore up this place! Two dump trips, and a lot of time spent working on my hands and knees. I got all the baseboards off, we ordered our floors to pick up Monday, tore up our fireplace, and removed the damaged carpet and floating floors. The boys lent a hand (How cute is Cort with his little plastic hammer helping Daddy?) and we plowed through as much as possible.
P.S. I had a veggie burger for lunch today and almost gagged when I saw how much it looked like carpet padding. Seriously.
2.19.2020
The floors are still not in. But we are at least 3 boards closer.
Confessional: when I get a fever I get cranky. Yesterday I was so angry at my kids. I thought it was stress, but it was 10 a.m. and I just wanted to crawl back into bed. But there was so much to do. 6 loads of laundry, dishes from 2 days, and floor boards everywhere.
Around 7:30 pm I just couldn’t even sit up anymore, so I told my husband I was going to lay down for a minute. I woke up at 7:00 am. And my DH had taken the dishwasher off the counter and installed the stove and fridge again while I slept. Hooray! My fever broke also and I am ready to finish tackling these floors.
2.22.2020
DIY renovating is seriously NOT for parents with small children, yet some how we keep tackling projects. It's like there is a part of our brain that won't accept truth.
We managed to get all our floors in! It took about 4 days longer than we anticipated. As Keith pounded the last board in we gathered as a family and clapped for him, then promptly had a dance party to inaugurate them as Kahmann flooring. Because that is what you do in our house. I peeked over Keith's shoulder yesterday as he was googling something on his phone and laughed, "drop down disco balls" he searched. Indeed they have them.
I managed to paint the bathroom this morning in a day, which was a miracle in itself! Next up we have the amazing Torry Thompson coming over to replace our scary stair railing that is literally hanging on by two little nails.
The boys have been having WAY too much fun sliding on the new floors in their socks. It reminded me of an epic time when my brother, Jonathan Miles, and I decided to use furniture polish to shine up my parent's wood floors. We were DELIGHTED to find that they made the perfect surface for slip and slide. My parents were less delighted when my mom fell flat on her face when they came home from date night. But my kids loved the story and it at least provided us some laughs, then and now.
2.25.2020
Me: Can you please finish your chores?
Sawyer: Ok Boomer.
Me: Oh, you asked for it. Sit down and I am going to give you a thorough history lesson on what a “Boomer” is and why they are so important. Following WW2...(blah blah lecture ensues).
Me: Go forth and warn the others.
2.27.2020
Bought my first power tool (nail gun)
3.9.2020
This Sunday another girl threw her scriptures at Lily’s face during Sunday School and she has a nice, puffy shiner as a result.
Lily: I can’t believe I have a black eye.
Me: How do you feel the Bible has impacted you recently?
Me: Sometimes I feel like the words of the prophets bounce right off of you.
Lily: Staaaawp!
Keith: At least we know the scriptures have left a lasting impression on her.
3.10.2020
I have officially done something insane. I took a cold shower this morning. On purpose. We have been struggling with knocking an obnoxious cold out of our home and after watching a video on the Iceman, Wim Hoff, I decided it was worth a try! Shortest shower
this week and a victory squeak at the end. Like I actually accomplished something in my shivering state. Did you know? Most people that take cold showers are more awake than you and me in the morning. Shocker
, right? And they ironically don’t get colds and sick as often. Get it? Cold showers? Colds?
On top of it I have been doing intermittent fasting. Totally worth it! My stomach feels so much better and my digestive system is telling me, “Hey, thanks for the break!” It has been surprisingly good for my brain too. I feel like I can think without a constant fog.
So I am cold and hungry. And supposedly THAT is good for my health. Who knew?
3.13.2020
I have been going back and forth between my feelings about this virus. My hope is that it will remain no big deal to us, but the reality is I have some fears in regards to my little Cort. We almost lost him Christmas day to an asthma attack and spent time in the ER trying to get him to breathe. It was scary, so scary to see my child struggling to take a breath. His little lungs are not strong. So if I do decide to hunker down as it invades my little corner of the world please don't tell me I am paranoid, just know that as a mama it is my job to take these precautions with viral infections that attack lung tissue. We will wash hands, but what 3 year old really does a good job keeping his hands off his face after touching every infected surface?
3.15.2020
The pandemic begins. The kids come home from school.
Here we go! Tomorrow starts the homeschool fun.
Update: by 10 am one of my kids was grounded to his room because I was so sick of him whining when said he couldn’t go play at his friend’s house. How strict are you being about playing with friends?
Update 2: what if I just drove to the beach and we lived in our car for 3 weeks? The salt should kill the corona
.
Update 3: S.O.S. I ended the day in my closet, hiding, while Keith put the kids to bed. Send chocolate.
3.16.2020
We spent almost 3 hours today making leprechaun
traps.
I can’t wait for our super naughty leprechaun to make a stop tonight at our house. I am always curious what he will be up to. What is the worst your leprechaun has done?
The leprechaun went all out this year. It was a MESS.
3.17.2020
My new SIL, Emily! We are SOOOO excited that she is a part of our family.
We were so happy that everything worked timing wise for this wedding to happen. The following week my father was SWAMPED working at Providence in Seattle when the initial outbreak took over. The following week temples and group gatherings were shut down and they wouldn't have had the same experience.
My heart goes out to all the couples that were planning on being married in the next bit, for the cancelled receptions, wedding photographers, caterers, and the continued waiting as they reschedule life.
3.18.2020
5.7 earthquakes are an excellent way to get us to wake up quickly.
Keith: "Quick, everybody repent!"
Lily: "Get under your beds!"
Cort: " There is a big ghost shaking my bed!"
3.28.2020
One thing that has struck me recently is that the only thing that feels different for me (aside from worrying about the day we run out of toilet paper) is that I don’t go to the gym. I have always wanted to homeschool my kids, I know, I am weird, and this has been kind of a unique opportunity to see what it would be like. After 2 weeks I asked if they wanted to finish out the year with me and Lily and Sawyer both proclaimed immediately “No.”
They might not even get a choice...
We love having Keith at home working. Keith on the other hand has lots of little interruptions despite our efforts to give him space. He sits on an exercise ball in a corner of our bedroom and Cort loves to come in to “bouncy bounce” while he works. I am sure his coworkers are giggling at his calls being interrupted by a little voice asking to bounce with him.
3.29.2020
I fully intend to start neglecting my “responsibilities” this week to get other projects done. Heaven knows that I can only do so much. This week is supposed to be Spring break for the kids, so they can veg in boring Roblox while I sand, paint, and repeat. The goal? Finish my banisters, finish the fireplace, and start painting the kitchen. Wish me luck!
4.1.2020
Anyone else feel a few little shakes today? Earthquake fun continues as it appears that things are settling down in Idaho and being felt all the way down here and all the way up to Spokane, WA. Keith was working at a folding table when his computer started to bounce a bit this afternoon. I felt it again the evening as I was painting and the banister moved under my brush. Simmer down Mother Earth!
After 2 days of working on the house I managed to get my fireplace mantel painted and a lot of my railing. Patting myself on the back. Good job me. However, my little kids are unhappy without routine, so tomorrow I am going to set everything aside and play. We may take the camera and go explore Antelope Island or do a drive by baby animal zoo.
4.4.2020
Just so I NEVER forget.....
April 4, 2020
School sites completed closed for who knows how long. Lily 6th, Sawyer 4th, Grant K
Keith working from home and sitting on a big bouncy ball all day - so grateful he has a job he can work from home!
Homeschooling 3 kids through distance learning the district is setting up...kids missing school and friends, but I am loving time with them.
Bryce and Andrew's graduation events canceled.
Self-distancing measures on the rise.
Tape on the floors at grocery stores and others to help distance shoppers (6ft) from each other.
Limited number of people inside stores, therefore, lineups outside the store doors.
Non-essential stores and businesses mandated closed.
Gas price at Costco was $2.45
Working with teachers to keep education going from home.
An earthquake in Utah that threw us all for a loop.
Parks, trails, beaches, entire cities locked up.
Entire sports seasons cancelled.
Concerts, tours, festivals, entertainment events - cancelled.
Weddings, family celebrations, holiday gatherings - cancelled.
Temples, churches are closed.
Missionaries sent home by the planeful and put into isolation.
No gatherings of 50 or more, then 20 or more, now 10 or more.
Don't socialize with anyone outside of your home.
Children's outdoor play parks are closed.
We are to distance 6 ft from each other.
Shortage of masks, gowns, gloves for our front-line workers.
Shortage of ventilators for the critically ill.
Panic buying sets in and we have no toilet paper, no disinfecting supplies, no paper towel no laundry soap, no hand sanitizer.
Shelves are bare.
When they do restock they have to limit purchasing amounts (no more than 2 lbs potatoes, 1 gallon milk, one package of tp, etc)
Manufacturers, distilleries and other businesses switch their lines to help make visors, masks, hand sanitizer and PPE.
Government closes the border to all non-essential travel.
Fines are established throughout the country for breaking the rules.
Stadiums and recreation facilities open up for the overflow of Covid-19 patients.
Press conferences daily from the President. Daily updates on new cases, recoveries, and deaths.
Government incentives to stay home.
Unemployment shoots skyward as small businesses are forced to close doors and the stock market plummets.
People wearing masks and gloves outside.
Essential service workers are terrified to go to work.
Medical field workers are afraid to go home to their families.
This is the Novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) Pandemic, declared March 11th, 2020.
Why, you ask, do I write this status?
One day it will show up in my memory feed, and it will be a yearly reminder that life is precious and not to take the things we dearly love for granted.
4.4.2020
We may be stuck inside but the party must go on! We ordered a disco light from Amazon and had a surprise party for my favorite monkeys.
4.6.2020
I try in general to keep things positive, but I KNOW many people are suffering from significant income challenges during this time.
Back in 2000 during that recession we had just purchased a new home, had a sweet baby boy, Sawyer, and promptly lost a job, our only source of income. I remember the panic, and stress that set in during that time. It was one of the darkest hours of our lives. We will never forget the people that prayed, the feelings of peace that came to us when we were panicking, the MANY people that showed up on our doorstep to help in any way they could. One in particular stands out in my mind, a coworker of Keith’s rang the doorbell the day after Keith lost his job. He stood there with a checkbook in his hand, and his pen poised, asking us how much we needed to pay our mortgage that month. He is a good man, and a reminder that even in the darkest hours of our lives there is still so much good and kindness and charity.
My heart is full of compassion for anyone going through their darkest hour at this moment. If you want to talk, if you need a friend, if you need prayers please reach out as many people did for me.
This Friday the leader of our church, President Nelson, has invited anyone who wants to join in a worldwide fast. It signifies going through a period (24 hours or 2 meals is usually the most common) without food or drink and turning our hearts heavenward as we plead for our medical personnel to be protected and find strength to do their jobs, our friends suffering in this economy, a quickening of thought for those scientists who are working so hard to find solutions, our leaders that want to help but don’t always know how, for those suffering in refugee camps, in short all of us. Do I doubt that He is already aware of us? No. But I do feel that the voice of millions may just send enough prayers heavenward to warrant a quickening of the pace for solutions.
In our church after we fast we take the money we would have spent on those meals and donate it to those in need. A local food bank or the Salvation Army are always in need of our help if you are looking for a place to donate.
While Keith and I struggled through that time I remember a moment where I was just frozen in a panic attack, worried about having enough money that month to purchase food and out of nowhere my heart suddenly felt an overwhelming sense of peace. I felt a calmness take over my soul and I knew for some reason that someone in the family was praying and fasting for us. I found out that my mom had called the extended family and asked them to fast and pray for us. I felt so surrounded by peace and love during a tumultuous time.
If you have any questions about fasting please don’t hesitate to ask or PM me.
4.9.2020
This week has been a lot of fun. I feel like we're in a really good groove right now, aside from some schooling issues. It makes my mama heart so happy to be surrounded with my family in this time.
We celebrated Passover for the first time this year. The kids loved it so much and asked that we do it again next year. I'm game!
School has been getting a little frustrating as I am seeing more issues with online learning, but we are muddling through. My kids are struggling with math and I am seeing all the holes in their learning. I have been seeing them get more and more frustrated, but I love using my experience as a teacher to help them grasp concepts they have been struggling with for months. Seeing a lightbulb moment is always something that I treasure.
Sawyer is determined to earn himself a trick scooter and has been overhauling my yard. Now Lily and Grant are requesting a bit o earth to plant in also. The longer they are hear the more I see them exploring new ways to be creative. They are amazing human beings.
4.22.2020
Graduation party for Bryce and Andrew via Zoom
4.23.2020
I hope a year from now I can laugh about the fact that I wore a Harry Potter mask to the grocery store. That just showing up to grab a few essential items caused anxiety to kick in.
It is crazy how something so small has the ability to change the whole world. Smaller than a mustard seed. #matthew17:20
5.1.2020
Just so I remember that my wildest dreams came true and I got to homeschool my kids (and I am way okay that they are going back to school in September).
Write about my mom and Kristen stepping in
One thing that has come about in all of this quarantining is noticing some special little quirks regarding my 3 year old, Cort. This kid fascinates both Keith and I. I have never seen a toddler that can sit for hours working on an intricate self made task. He will section off paper, then create little patterns within the sections, and then color in the lines one little section at a time. I am talking he will make sure that he keeps his marker within the boundary of each teeny section. Often it is all the same color, so what looks like a blob is actually an intricate project that took hours.
One day I noticed that he moved onto dots. Instead of coloring in the sections he filled it in like a little Seurat, one dot at a time. Hours later he finished.
Poor Grant keeps walking in to find that if he leaves his homework on the table his little brother will add some finishing touches. This led to me having to create homework for Cort to do also.
And yesterday I asked him to pick up 3 decks of Uno cards. He came back an hour later explaining that he had picked them up. To my surprise he had organized all 3 decks into colors. That is a lot of uno cards.
And may I say he has the best handwriting?
Furthermore he can beat EVERY SINGLE person including Keith Kahmann and I at memory.
I cannot wait to see what he does in the next few years.
5.6.2020
Today my heart broke as I cried for a friend's family. My sweet friend, Missy Nielsen, was suddenly called home to her Heavenly Father way too early. Missy was a wonderful friend, a perfect roommate, a fun mommy to 4 littles, an amazing cake artist, and an excellent human being.
My mind is still reeling and spinning. I had made plans to go see her in 2 weeks up in Idaho. I guess I'll just have to do my Kokomo trip alone. I will still smile every time I hear our song.
5.10.2020
I have spent many hours this week grateful to be here. I have thought so often of my friend who lost her life this week, and her littles that will grow up always thinking of her during each new phase in life. I have prayed and pleaded with God that He might be merciful enough to allow me to see these littles grow up, to do Lily's hair on her wedding day, to take their senior pictures, to hug them when they make mistakes, to hold my own grandchildren, but also praying that I might be humble enough to embrace His will. Each day has brought a renewed energy to be the best mom I can be while I have the chance to embrace, hug, love, and even discipline (because it IS a big part of being a good mom). My heart and hands are full, and I love it.
I'm grateful for my sweet mom, Carolyn Miles, and all she did to raise me and love me. I'm pretty sure I was her most stubborn and hard child, but she survived. She is the most wonderful grandma. Her drawers are always stocked with candy and she always is willing to teach and share her wealth of knowledge with the littles in her life. Love you Mom!
5.14.2020
What brought me joy this week:
Watching Cort try and keep up with his big brothers at the skate park.
Finding a moment to laugh with my Jessica Sharp Thurber. Whenever I need a friend she is always there.
Spending the day with my amazing long lost friend Kimberly Cox Wilson on a road trip. We attending Missy Nielsen's funeral, visited our old stomping grounds in Rexburg, Idaho, laughed, cried way too much, reminisced, and left with a renewed friendship.
Baby ducks. They are here! We have been walking down a trail 3 times a week for the past few months anticipating their arrival and my sweet boys were over the moon to find some had finally hatched!
5.15.2020
This sweet girl is officially done with elementary school! We are off to bigger adventures as she plows into the world of junior high come September. Although she missed her graduation and last field day she is saddest of all to say goodbye to recesses.
Favorite teacher: Miss Whittaker, Prendergast Elementary, Kindergarten
Teacher who made her laugh: Mr. Martinez at Buffalo Point
Favorite subject: P.E.
BFFs in Kindergarten: Alice
BFFs in 1st grade: Alice, Mia, Christiana
BFFs in 2nd grade: same as first
BFFs in 3rd grade: Evie, Ivy, Kylee
BFFs in 4th grade: Kylee, Kylie, Cecily
BFFs in 5th grade: Kylie, Kylee, Paisley, Peyton
BFFs in 6th grade: Sara, Eva, Paisley
Next year new adventures, new friends, and a new school await!
5.20.2020
Keith: (reading from scriptures) Jesus healed the lepers.
Cort: WHAT? A leprechaun? (Runs around excitedly). JESUS HEALS THE LEPRECHAUNS!!!
****************
Me: (Leaning down to talk) Ooh. Do you have a dance stuck in your body? Sometimes I...
Cort: Well, it is time to stop that sound.
Me: What sound?
Cort: The sounds coming out of your mouth. Let's dance!
5.30.2020
Rioting and looting start following the death of George Floyd
6.2.2020
Lordy lordy look who's 40! Yup, I just leveled up. Level 39 was pretty tricky but I made it to the next level in the game of life. Worldwide pandemic, riots, homeschooling, and potty training. Bring it 40, whatcha got???
39 for me was about overcoming fears and forcing myself to continue to progress and grow. I learned to sew and entered a competition where I stood on stage, I bought my first power tool and used it, tried surfing
for the first time, made new friends, and probably many other things I forget (probably due to old age)!
I always thought the 30s were the prime of life, but as I close that chapter and look forward I don't feel any where close to done. I'm looking forward to this next phase of diaper free days, and seeing my goals continue to take shape!
My Lily sent in her virtual audition this week for OVCC and she is praying hard that she gets a call back. Competition is fierce for this amazing choir!
6.21.2020
My sweet girl made it into round 2 of auditions for One Voice Children's Choir!!! I'm so proud of her and she is already working hard on the next round of songs.
Thank you to Rebekah and Shannon for their help!