Things made us laugh today at church, that should have been more serious. In order to conserve people's privacy I won't mention names (except for Keith's)... The first scene happened during a conversation at church (If I had the audacity to tell who these people are you would laugh a lot harder at the situation this husband put his wife in). We were talking about love in marriage...
Husband: Honey, you were watching a movie you really enjoyed the other day what was it?
Honey: shakes head and refuses to look at him
Husband: No, it was really good you said. It was about love.
Honey: shakes head a little more forcefully.
Husband: Do you not remember the name of it? It was so good you said.
Honey: whispers, looking down at her hands, Broken back Mountain.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Scene 2: Elder's Quorum meeting. The lesson today followed a conference talk on Mother's Roles. Keith raised his hand and valiantly decided to make me a "hero" by sharing how hard it is to be a mom. He starts to tell everyone a typical day in my life:
Keith: She gets up between 5 and 6 to feed Lily and if she is lucky Lily will go back to sleep. If not then she has to stay up with Lily until she is ready to go back to bed and during the spare moments of her day she sometimes finds time to take a shower.
Teacher: So, some days your wife doesn't take a shower?
Keith: Worst case she doesn't have a chance to shower until that night when I come home (thank you Keith for revealing my stinkiness). It's a tough job.
Older man stands and faces the class: Well, I am a grandfather... and if we were in Relief Society I would point out two references: "On becoming babywise" and "On becoming toddlerwise". These two books have a lot of tools for young mothers and they work! Now, by what you have told me, your wife is doing something wrong!
Other quorum members start egging Keith on to defend his wife. He just shakes his head and chuckles.
(I'd like to insert that I have read that book and on a typical day I take a shower EVERY morning. Sometimes I take a second one at night if I have taken Lily out for the day on walks).
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Before starting our church class last week I had the following conversation with a man in his 60s, who is...well I'll just tell you about our conversation without making judgements. The conversation started this way:
Me: How has your week been?
Brother: Good, good. I went to the gym 3 times this week. Trying to work off this gut.
Me: That's great! Good for you.
Brother: Yeah, you should really start working out. You still need to lose some of the baby weight you know.
Me: nodding Sure. Thanks. I'll get going on that.
Brother: Yeah, you'll need to do a lot more situps or something to lose your gut.
Me: nodding Well, I'll be sure to do that.
Brother: You could try running too you know, it will help you lose those extra pounds.
Me: Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind.
I could have been insulted...but it was just so awkward that it actually made me laugh.