Two random and completely seperate little entries to blog about today! Running and Lily's first trip to the ER (You'll laugh at me, I promise).
RUNNING MANIA! I've officially laced up my new running shoes and I'm off and going! About 6 weeks ago I lamely attempted to run a few miles with Lily in the stroller. I think I was able to do maybe, say, 1 minute. I was gasping for air and thought for once I'd need an inhaler. My legs burned, my heart pounded, and I was sweating like a post-pardem momma. I realized flabby leg muscles and I do not get along.
I made some goals years ago and decided it was about time I accomplished a few of them. This morning I was incredibly sore. You know that feeling when you can't even walk down the stairs without it being too painful so you walk on your tippy toes with straight legs to use the least amount of muscles as possible? Or you can't kneel down and so you purposefully bend at the waist to do everything, further complicating the leg situation by putting your back out of commision every time you pick up a 22 pound object (in my case it would be a big blue-eyed object that insists on kisses and hugs repeatedly throughout the day). That was me this morning.
When I woke up this morning at 6 I was determined to get out of bed and further torture my poor body. I could barely walk down the steps and I hobbled onto the street. An amazing thing then took place. I could run! My muscles began to warm up and in no pain at all I was able to take off running. The minute I slowed for a second to catch my breath and walk a little the pain came back. I realized I had two options. Walk in pain, or run free! I got home that morning on a big running high after running over 4 miles. My lungs, heart, and body cooperated. (You guessed it, I can barely move now!)
Here comes my first half marathon! I'm running a 5k June 6th, and then doing a series of races up until my half marathon in September. Good luck to me! I know I'm going to do it this time. I even found some great running partners in the area who I meet with on Saturday.
When I got home I quickly showered then Lily and I dropped Keith off at work, stopped by the store, and hurried home to get ready for playgroup. I could barely walk at the playground and everytime Lily toddled off I toddled after her trying to stay on my tiptoes to minimize the quad impact without looking too silly. I was impressed that she was faster than me today!
When we got home I threw together a quick lunch for her and went to start laundry. I am really excited that we have a line out back so I can air dry my clothes. I can't WAIT to see my new and improved electricity bill. I was throwing a new load of laundry in the wash when I saw Lily climbing the stairs. I pulled her down twice and blocked the entry to the stairwell. She saw the recycling bin and got distracted by it. Next thing I knew the scream every mother dreads hearing erupted from her little mouth. I saw a pool of blood forming on the floor. Yup. Pool.
Panicking (as any good mother would do) I grabbed her and threw her into the tub to minimize the blood mess throughout the house and picked up my cellphone on the way. I desperately opened up my phone and called the first doctor on the list.
"Dr. D___'s office."
"Hi, I'm in an emergency. I need to speak to a nurse right away."
"What is your name?"
"Kahmann, Lily." (I was holding a screaming baby and trying to stop the blood flow at that point)
"Can you spell it?"
"K-A-H-M-A-N-N."
"I'm sorry, I can't hear you very well. Could you spell that again?"
"Look, I just need to speak to a nurse. My baby hurt herself."
"Maybe you should go to the ER. They'll probably be able to help you."
I hung up and called my friend and neighbor Kristen. She was over at my house in a matter of minutes ready to take a panicky me and Lily (who had calmed down considerably despite the fact that I had her hand held over her head in a death grip). Lily and Alice (Kristen's toddler) immediately started a sweet conversation where they exchanged toys, babbled, waved, and said "Hi!" a million times. By the time we got to the ER I think everyone had calmed down considerably.
As we were sitting in the waiting room I decided to give my doctor another call. I opened my phone to "Recent Calls" and almost died when I realized that in my panic I had called my DENTIST and not my PEDIATRICIAN. No wonder the receptionist was really confused and told me to go to the ER! I still laugh thinking of how confused the receptionist at a dentist office must have been to receive that panicked call from a mom with a screaming baby who insisted on talking to a nurse.
After waiting for quite a bit Kristen noticed that I wasn't looking so hot. I think it was the stress, the running, and seeing my child's blood that finally got to me and I felt faint. A cup of orange juice and two nurses to check me out, 3 stitches for Lily, and lot of sad little sobs from being held down, and we were on our way home. I don't think I made my first trip to the ER until I was 16.
How grateful I am to have found a friend like Kristen. She is one in a million!