Sunday, June 21, 2009

Dear Ol' Dad


Happy Father's Day to my sweet dad. I thought I'd share a few memories I have of him, just for my own record keeping, and to put a smile on his face.

One memory I have of my dad is when I was under 10. I couldn't even guess my age, but it made a huge impact on my little life. My mom had left for some reason (it could have been a church thing, or to have a baby, or we were driving her crazy that night, I don't remember) and she put my dad in charge. I remember he gathered us around the old round table and put out bowls for cereal. Then smack in the middle of the table he put a few boxes of the GOOD cereal (we usually had to choose from nasty corn flakes, or plain rice puffs). We're talking the Lucky Charms type of cereal. I'm sure he must have pulled them out of the top of his closet where he for years kept them hidden away from little fingers.


After I finished my first bowl I just couldn't stop grinning. I hesitantly looked at my dad and when I asked if I could have a little more he smiled and said, "Sure." I was SO excited and I remember that I thought then that I had the BEST dad in the world.
I was little also in this memory. When we'd finish our baths I often would run over to my dad who would have a towel ready and he would shake and scrub at my hair to get all the water out of it. It would make me giggle every time. Even today whenever I scrub Lily's hair dry with a towel I remember my dad. My poor mom was probably the one who had to comb all those knots out, but the silly moment was worth all the pain afterwards.

When I was about 13, my dad offered to take me to work with him. I spent the whole day taking the security tags off old shirts at the retail store where he was a manager. I was so proud of myself that I got to work like a grownup. At the end of the day we went to a little place and my dad let me pick something out for all my hard work. I remember choosing this little tape player and being so excited. I slept with it (like a teddy bear? I just realized how weird this is.) by my head until I must have been 17, playing the radio as I went to sleep. I loved that day!

I have some tender memories that I've shared with my dad too, but I like to keep those safe in my heart. Like saying goodbye to him when I went away to school, carpooling to work with him, the evil "Cl___", talking on the phone with him as an adult, getting disciplined by the grim faced dad, seeing him as a bishop, and seeing him as a grandpa. Ah...tender. I sure love him lots and I'm grateful to have such a good pop.


I love you Dad!!! Happy Father's Day!