Monday, July 20, 2009

Carpe Viem

Many of you know that I am training for my first half-marathon. I set this goal a few months ago when Lily turned one. I wanted to do something with my life that was just for me. I wanted to accomplish something and be able to check it off my list, hence was born the idea of the half-marathon. This is not an entirely new idea that popped in my head. I have wanted to actually run a full marathon since my early days of college, but felt I wasn't capable. Finally I said, "Why not?" People do amazing things all the time, and although I would never consider myself the athletic type, I have athletic desires. So I'm starting off with a half-marathon and if I can do that, then I'll set my sights a little higher on that full marathon.

I started running a few months ago and was making good progress, but now it's like I've hit a wall. This morning I felt like shedding a tear or two as I once again found myself walking after about 3 miles. I'm supposed to be up to 6 miles at this point, but it seems like one obstacle after another keeps getting in my way. My biggest obstacle yet is getting over my own mental state that pushes me to quit. It's very hard to fight your brain and remain positive when you have the sun in your eyes, a desperate need to find a bathroom and a drink, and waning energy. I feel a little lost and confused when I'm up against that wall. I wish I had my own little coach running beside me to prod me along and help me understand how to make my body do what I'm begging it to do.

Half of me wants to quit, and the other half tells myself to get over it and figure out what is going on with my body and how to overcome the stress I'm putting it through. I've got to reconfigure my running plan and maybe even concede to the fact that I may have to walk part of the half marathon (my original goal was to run it at a pace under 9:00. Yeah, good luck with that!).

I apologize for my little self-beating on my blog. If you do have advice, I am open to it as I'm feeling really frustrated right now. Until race day I'm going to start recording my ups and downs as I prepare for this race and show myself that I am capable of accomplishing something! You can tune in if you want to, or tune out until September 12th. Wish me luck!


Monday 7.20.09
Goal: 2 miles, 2x[1:00, 1:30, 2:00] Aerobic Intervals, 2 miles

Actual: 3.2 miles, 4x[1:00] Aerobic Intervals, 2 miles walking (BOO!)

Notes: Ate a piece of bread with PB 15 minutes before running. Didn't seem to help and after 2 miles I could still feel it weighing down my tummy. I ALWAYS have to go to the bathroom after a mile. Is there any way to avoid this? I worked on my form today (pushing my shoulders back and chest out) and noticed that I was breathing easier, so that's a plus. I also want to get a geeky running pack so I can stay hydrated once I surpass the 3 mile mark.