Sunday, June 27, 2010

Oh Wicked Pregnancy

I went into labor last night.

Well, I thought I did.

Then I realized that eating half a pound of peanut M&Ms, no matter what cool colors you pick up at the M&M factory is a bad idea.

Once I got that problem over, my "labor" ended.

The end is near and I'm getting excited for these last moments to cumulate with a sweet baby boy in my arms. People are constantly asking me, "How are you feeling?" with a look of pure sympathy on their faces. Really? I feel FANTASTIC compared to how I felt with my first pregnancy. When you know how bad it can be, anything above that deserves a smile and a lack of complaint.

With that said, I couldn't sleep very well last night. We won't go into why, but I can't WAIT to move and hold my husband to the promise made to put those air conditioners in first thing.

I woke up early and decided to go on a walk at a trail near our house that's 3 miles round trip. When I was training for my half marathon last summer this trail was my home away from home and I'd loop it 2-3 times to get ready for the race. I finished my half marathon in September in 2.5 hours.

Then I promptly got pregnant.

Today I walked this same trail 9 months later. I finished 3 miles at the whopping pace of 2 hours total. Yes, I did say that it took me 2 hours to walk a trail of 3 miles. I'm not even going to bother figuring out how many minutes a mile that is. I'll just hang my head in shame.
Before this baby comes I wanted to have one last fun "hurrah" with Keith and spend some quality time with him before I turned into the sleepless walking monster commonly referred to as a new mom. My parents and inlaws helped us spring for tickets to "Wicked" on Broadway for our birthdays.


I've been wanting to see this play for 6 years. I first heard the music on a blind date with ? and he rewound it again and again, making me listen to the perfect blending of voices. 6 years ago I went to NYC with my friend Carrie and we were determined to see the play. We stood in line 6 times to try and get standby tickets, to no avail.

I'm a dork. I not only memorized all the music to the play years ago, but I've read the script, stalked any youtube installations and waited anxiously for the day that I could actually see the show. I was a little "green" with envy whenever I heard of family or friends going that had never even heard the music.

The day arrived yesterday and Keith and I went! We had AWESOME seats on the balcony of the Gershwin, right in the front and I was giddy from the moment we sat down and I saw the curtain. And it lived up to all of my expectations. I even cried at the end (let's blame that one on pregnancy hormones) because I was so happy that I had seen it. The baby went NUTS as soon as the music started and I had to really concentrate hard on the play with all the commotion going on in my belly for the first hour of the play.



Folks. I've seen Wicked.

I can have this baby any time now.

Except tomorrow. Tomorrow we are closing on our house.