Sunday, August 1, 2010

Adventures in Parenting Two - Soap Opera Edition at Applebees

Last Wednesday my mom left our abode to head to Italy with my dad and pick up my little sister Jenessa from her mission. It had been fun having my mom here for a month, but it was her time to spend her energy walking around the beautiful country of Italy hand in hand with my dad (how's that for a reward?).

I was antsy to see my dad who I hadn't seen in months, so we decided to pack up the WHOLE family and travel the hour and a half to the JFK airport. Little did we know that what would initially be a planned 4 hour trip would turn into 9. Yes, I did say 9.

After getting stuck in traffic (not a surprise) we arrived at the airport and dropped my mom off at the door. After packing Sawyer into a stroller, with my rockin' carseat coverup and busting Lily out of the car, we started to hurry up to the airport to catch my dad on his layover. Problem was - hurrying was out of the question not even a week after giving birth my body wouldn't allow me to walk faster than a turtle's pace. When we found my parents we had a joyful reunion and Bapa got to meet his first grandson. He scoffed at me insisting to put on smelly hand sanitizer, but I wasn't about to let airline hands touch the little guy. It was fun to see him for a bit and then we took off.



It wasn't going to be too bad. With the traffic we'd already added an extra hour to our trip, but 5 hours was manageable. When my calm little guy started to cry I reached behind me blindly to find the pacifier until we could stop and instead found my hand and the pacifier covered in, well, juicy, gooey, orange poopoos. It was a huge blowout, and it had to happen in rush hour traffic in NYC. Perfect. With nowhere to stop, and I sure wasn't going to pull into any unsanitary place in the middle of NYC to attempt this job, we were all subject to the wailings and stress of a new infant in poopy distress.

Finally I saw a sign for Applebees in New Rochelle which seemed a little more sanitary than my other options. We pulled in and I got to spend a good 45 minutes in the bathroom herding traffic away from my wailing infant on the changing table I had decorated with 10 layers of paper towels as I attempted to sponge bath him and give his carseat a good cleaning with nothing but hand soap and those "wave your hand in front of them to get 5 inches of paper towels and then wait 3 seconds while it resets itself" devices.

Let me tell you, I adore standing in a public restroom breastfeeding too. It was super fun.

Finally I immerged from the bathroom only to swap Sawyer for Lily and return to the changing table. Our server must have thought we were nuts. Once everyone was settled and I quit freaking out that people were breathing on my newborn we ate and hit the road again with a still poopy carseat (there is only so much a brown paper towel can do) and a full stomach for all.

In a week and a half we are supposed to return to the same airport and see my sister and parents on a layover. I am up in the air as to how this is all going to go down, or if it should go down. On one hand I won't be able to see my sister (whom I already HAVEN'T seen for 20 months) for another year, and on the other hand I don't want to relive those 9 hours. What are the chances he'll have another blowout? I can't imagine leaving him at home for 9 hours as we are "bosom buddies" right now. I'm just not sure what I'm going to do and what I should do (two seperate issues).