My Lily babe is growing up. I know, it happens. And it is really cool to see. You know how you wish that you had that same wonderment that children have as they discover something new? I feel that wonderment watching my children discover new things. Lily turned 3 last weekend and Grandma came out to visit and save us from Winter insanity.
My mom's got skillz. Look at that cake she decorated! And I'll post another time with the quilt she made Lily.
I have to admit. I am over two. Really. The terrible twos reared their ugly head in our home, but who is to blame them? I threw a lot at Lily (and myself) during her second year with a new house, a new baby, potty training, etc. She handled it like a champ and I must admit we were often both head to head on the tantrum tally for the day (most tantrums were in my head, but they were there). But the important thing is that we SURVIVED the terrible twos and we're on to the terrific threes (if you tell me the threes are not much better I promise to ignore you and live in blissful ignorance).
A conversation with a new three year old:
Me: How old are you?
Lily: shows 3 I'm three!
Me: What is your favorite things to do?
Lily: I like to help you doing dishes.
Me: Really?
Lily: Last time I did it wif you and turned on loud song cuz I didn't like soft songs.
Me: Oh, so you like to dance while I do dishes?
Lily: Yeah.
Me: Who came to visit?
Lily: Grandma came and she just played wif us.
Me: Did we go swimming with Grandma?
Lily: Yeah. I am a good swimer. I go underwater and was scared last time. Me baby is getting bigger and bigger and she can swim like me (points to tummy) and I'll give her batteries and she'll swim and not drown and I went out of the bathtub swimming pool and baby was going to jump and exercise in swimming pool and I showed me baby how to go up and down and up and down and up and down. That was me baby, remember? She was three like me and two months old. Wanna color wif me?
Me: How was your birthday?
Lily: Me birfday was fun. There was a teddy bear in there. There were so many presents and I got tired last night. Grandma made a birthday cake with sprinkles and so many candles.
Me: What happens when you're three?
Lily: I don't know. I'm just two.
She is the sweetest little thing I have ever known. She is always concerned about the well-being of others and constantly offering hugs and encouragement to those around her. She can be a little shy around new people, but if she sees that they are shy too she immediately steps up to bat to make sure that her friends are happy and taken care of. She is also obedient beyond her years. I usually only have to explain something once and it is the way things are. I've never had her run out into the street (though we had our first parking lot incident last week and had a LONG talk about it) and trust her to do what she is told.
Lily is starting to warm up to her baby brother and loves to help when she can. She is learning how to hug him gently, feed him cereal, and make him laugh.
She's a little performer. She loves dancing and begs us constantly throughout the day to take a break and dance with her. If she can't get her hands on a toy that makes music, she sings it. She loves classical music too and when we are driving in the car she begs me to turn it to the "ballerina station." I can't wait to start dance classes with her (we're waiting until the new session starts up in the Fall).
Sawyer update:
Sitting up.
Then the next day it was this:
So, please go back to sleep baby boy. I know you're so proud that you can stand up in your crib, but I promise you you'll sleep much better lying down.
