Monday, March 7, 2011

Wine and Dine and Kersplat

The pizza mania continues in our house as Keith tries new toppings and sauces to further perfect his pizza. The latest victims guests in our home were treated to a pizza unlike any other.

We had met a lovely family, the Carrascos, and invited them over for dinner and to get to know them better. Little Lily and her friend Sophia got busy playing right away and we chatted as Keith finished hand tossing and beautifying his latest masterpiece. The pizzas slid into the oven and we sat down to chat.

Out came the first pizza. It smelled DE-Lish and Keith went to slice it up. All of our heads whipped to see when we heard a “ker-splat” resonate from our kitchen. There was the beautiful chicken and broccoli pizza, upside down on the floor. Keith’s jaw dropped in dismay and he scooped up as much as he could and piled it on the pizza pan.

“No problem. We’ve got two!” he called and shrugged it off (which is quite hard for a man so dedicated to his culinary arts).

He pulled the second pizza out of the oven. He pushed aside the pile of pizza on the first pan and began to slice…

And you guessed it.

There was a moment of awkward silence as we stared at the second pizza upside down on the floor, it’s topping intermingling with the first pizza’s toppings.

Then we lost it. I had to sit down for fear of dropping Sawyer while laughing so hard. Nicolas was doubled over crying and poor Keith, well, he laughed later.

Nicolas scooped up the pizza (what he could) onto the previously spilled one and threw the massive pile in the oven again.

“Don’t worry, I’m a bio-chemist. This will kill any germs. I promise.”

There was nothing to do. We hadn’t been shopping recently (though I now think perhaps I could have opened a can of soup or something) and PB&J just didn’t sound appetizing to anyone.

We sat down and said an earnest prayer over our dirty pizza that night before digging in. We each ate two pieces of our disheveled pizzas. The Carrascos played the role of the perfect victims guests as they raved over the flavor of the sauce and searched through the pile for any toppings that could be salvaged.

I feel like I need to publicly apologize for feeding a dirty pizza to a pregnant woman, her toddler, and hubs.

Come again soon!

p.s. If you need a recipe for an AWESOME flan…I stole the Carrasco’s. Something delicious had to come out of that night, right?