This was one of those weeks that was a roller coaster. We'll just say that there are some pretty ugly people out there (character uglies) that make decisions that hurt everyone around them. I'd say more but it's not my story to tell, and it's one of those Debby Downers that we don't need the whole world to suffer from.
That being said, I've got bangs! Not the most exciting news, but good in the sense that for the first time I was able to leave Sawyer with a babysitter and take off to take care of myself before 7:00 p.m. I'd take a picture, but let's face it, my hair looked good only for the 2 hours after the visit to the salon, then Sawyer spit up in my hair and I had to pull it into a ponytail to halt further damage. Soon after we went for a walk, it was windy, I put on a hat and then I've been wondering ever since, "Why did I get bangs?"
Lily reminded me gently today that she’s still my little girl. Sometimes she screams and throws fits and demands that I do the simplest tasks for her (sorry little lady, but I'm not going to hoist you onto the toilet when you're perfectly capable of doing it yourself) and I get a little frustrated by how she's acting.
Today we were rushing through the morning tasks that are required to get us out the door. I was feeding Sawyer, then getting Lily set up to eat breakfast, trying to get dressed myself, getting morning chores done around the house, then eating breakfast while trying to get my hair and makeup decent...you know the routine that it takes to get a few kids and a mamma out the door on time.
Part of this routine means that Lily's got to do some work too. "Go get your shoes on." "Can you find your jacket?" "No you cannot do that." "I'm sorry sweetie I don't have time to play with you right now." "Can you go find your hairbrush?" "Put those toys away, I just cleaned that up." "Sorry, I can't dance right now honey, we have to go soon." "Can you find the peanut butter?" ...etc.
As I was putting the diaper bag together I looked over to see the dear one sitting on the step dressed with her shoes on the wrong feet, cereal still on her face, her backpack on with the straps twisted the wrong way, and her chin in her hands. She looked so sweet and forelorn there that I stopped what I was doing, even though it meant we were going to be a few minutes late, and sat down next to her.
"Lilygirl, what's wrong?" I asked.
She looked up at me sadly, "Oh Mommy. Sometimes you just forget that I still so little."
"You're right sweetie. You're still my little Lily." And I picked her up in my arms and just held her for a few minutes, switched her shoes to the right feet, wet my fingers to wipe breakfast off her face, and straightened her bows and her backpack.
We were 10 minutes late. But it was totally worth it.