Sunday, September 18, 2011

The B Word

I hate to admit this but I have recently become the "B" word.

Yes, I am talking about boring.

To spice things up and get myself out of my rut I decided to tackle a no-no for any woman with two small children.

Hiking.

Now before you roll your eyes at my utter stupidity, I WAS looking for an adventure, and I did have a plan. You see, during breakfast I made up a story and I told my little girl there was a magical castle at the top of a mountain that was missing just one important element.

Important element missing? The princess.

That was all I needed for my plan to unroll successfully. It took her 5 minutes flat to be dressed and have a princess backpack packed with a crown, princess dress, and a wand. And I have to say, I didn't hear one word of complaint, the entire 1.5 miles up the trail.

When she gets determined, she reminds me of myself. Love that.

And she was determined to lend her help to make that castle complete. She would stop often to check her bag and make sure her dress and crown were still in place.




When we got to the top, she was in heaven. She danced, she sang, she pretended to kill the bad guy (always Sawyer) and marry the prince (always mommy). It was a dream come true and the castle was now complete with a princess.



Not to say that the whole adventure didn't go off without a hiccup.

Hiccup 1: Two men come running up the trail without shirts. Lily sees them, stops, and yells, "Mom! Look! They are running naked!" I smile and we continue up the hill. After playing in the castle for awhile Lily needed a potty break (thank heavens for a clean potty at the top). She marched out of the bathroom nude from the waist down and starts off running, or should I say streaking?! Once I catch her I say, "Lily, we can't run around nakey like that." to which she replies, "But Mommy, it's okay. The boys were doing it." We marched back to the bathroom and got her resituated before heading down the trail. Not nakey, I might add.


This little guy slept the whole way up the trail and was ready to play when we stopped!

Hiccup 2: A tantrum started on the way down. Both of them were stellar on the way up, but any momma could recognize a hunger tantrum coming on. So I pulled Sawyer out of the backpack, threw Lily in, and I took off running down the trail. I think I must have run 3/4 mile, and my back was aching the next day.



Hiccup 3: Success! We made it to the end of the trail, got out our snacks, and were settling into carseats. I threw my bag on the front seat of the car's passenger side while I finished buckling Sawyer in. I shut his door and heard IT.


It being the ominous click of automatic locks.

Me? Outside the locked car. Kids? Inside the locked car, buckled safely into their seats. Keys? On the front seat of the car snuggled safely into my bag. Cell phone? Next to the keys.

The next hour proceeded with me trying not to laugh at the ridiculousness of the situation (I would have been more panicky had we not been parked in the shade and had I not just fed the kids.). I was yelling through the window instructions at Lily, trying to talk her out of a child-proof carseat. She tried so hard, knowing that it was important, but what a daunting task for a little girl. Soon a crowd gathered around to see what was happening. Police came, firemen came, but in the end do you know who saved the day?



The back of the firetruck as it pulled away.

Lily!

I was able to talk her through getting out of her carseat, and she climbed over the seat and pushed the magical button. Her motivation? A chocolate dipped cone from Dairy Queen. What else would be fit for the princess?

So therefore, I have thus proven to the universe that I am no longer the "B" word.

Boring folks, boring!!!