Dear Lily,
When you were born, I knew you. I knew that I had known you before and I knew that you were mine. It was an incredible moment where our spirits connected and I have felt this fierce love and connection to you ever since that moment. I would protect you at any cost, because you belonged to me and you are a part of me.
When you were born, I knew you. I knew that I had known you before and I knew that you were mine. It was an incredible moment where our spirits connected and I have felt this fierce love and connection to you ever since that moment. I would protect you at any cost, because you belonged to me and you are a part of me.
I remember one of the first walks we took together. You were only 2 months old and I was carrying you in my arms. I tripped stepping up to a particularly high curb and I felt my body automatically twist and spin in such a way that I bruised in places I thought impossible. I landed, twisted unnaturally on the sidewalk, and you unscathed held towards the sun. I wish I could take every fall with you as you enter into childhood and leave you unscathed, bathed in the sunlight, but I know with each fall will come a learning experience, and you’ll emerge stronger because of it.

The first months were a survival state for both of us as we tried to figure out how we were going to get through it (you: life, me: motherhood), but as the year wore on it became magical to see your sweet personality come out. The drama, the tears, the giggles, the hamming it up, and the discovery of dancing. I was your whole world, and we were both okay with that. You were becoming you, and Daddy and I watched in awe that such a little thing could have such a large personality.

We survived two. I’ll be honest. That was hard. And I never want to potty train again. Two years later you still think we need to cheer and congratulate you when you hop off the potty and beg for charts to earn prizes.
But it wasn’t all hard. You started to say the quirkiest little things, and I started to write them down. I was eager to watch you figure out language and you were just as eager to please me. You loved to be my little helper, and your favorite game was to make your dolls obey mommy, “Lily, can you make Baby go pick up your toys?”

Three was perfect. You were still so little and needed to tightly grip my hand, but hallelujah!, I could count on you to put your own shoes on! You had so much to say and to figure out, and you were getting really good at being a big sister. Your imagination seemed to blossom and every 5 minutes came the phrase, “Can you play with me?” There was always something on your mind and words never stopped pouring forth from your lips.

And now you have reached the grand age of four. Four! I have to say, I’m a little giddy here. Let the adventures begin! I can’t wait to see what is in store this year. I am eager to see you reading, to explore that world with you. I love that you write me notes, always the same, “the Lily Lily the Lily Lily thank you Lily.” The only thing you can write, but it is beautiful to me. You can read little words, you are starting to put together sentences.
Know what my gut tells me? This is going to be the best year yet!
