Sunday, March 22, 2015

Cruising! March 2015

It has come down to this: My life is consumed with three little people, a husband, and a home. Blogging has been thrown on the back burner and seems to be slowly catching the embers of a future that will lead to going up in flames. But something in me loves to write. I love to see the words, the struggles, the life and all that I am surrounded with. In my head I often spend time writing these posts and thinking of all the things I want to say, but the time passes so quickly and sleep seems more important.

A year ago I was nursing a sweet new baby in a chair, trying to get by on little sleep, and deal with all the complexities of three children and a cold winter. During this time my sister-in-law, Julia, called me up and asked if I wanted to go on a cruise. Every part of my being screamed "Yes!!!" but the mommy in me looked at this little baby and couldn't imagine it ever happening. After some thought and coercion I came to the conclusion that I would figure out a way to make it happen if my sister, Kristen, came out to help with the wee ones for a week. Somehow I felt that she was the person that would connect best with my little baby and I felt comfortable leaving him in her tender arms. 

And she came!

And we went!

And oh boy, was it glorious!

My consumed life melted away for the week, and I became just a friend to my sweet husband.

As we were giddily running through Harry Potter land in Orlando my husband turned to me with a big grin on his face and said, "There you are!" 

"Of course I am here." I said, confused.

"No, there YOU are. The girl I married. I haven't seen her in awhile." 

Words to stop anyone in their tracks. 

It was a week that we both desperately needed to reconnect and just enjoy our relationship. 



Too often we put us on the back burner. There are children to deal with, a house to clean, clothes to fold, walls to paint, gyms to attend, schoolwork, photos to edit, church, and floors to mop (ha! That's a lie, I hate mopping. Though I recently discovered that Sawyer loves mopping. You bet your buttons that I am capitalizing on this.). 

But as I was able to step back and reflect I knew that this weekend would be the catalyst I needed to make some changes in my focus. And what better place to step back and reflect than over an aqua, crystal clear beautiful ocean? It was hardly a chore. 

I am really grateful that Keith and I had this opportunity to spend the time reconnecting with each other and with his dear family that I love. 


Just for memories I have included a bit of our schedule:

Day 1: Visited with Dana, Keith's aunt, at the Bay Hill Country Club in Orlando, FL. We sat next to Arnold Palmer himself, though I didn't do much more than wave at him. Afterwards we went to Orlando Studios and hit up Harry Potter World. It was amazing! We drank butter bear, and ran out around like two kids in a Hogsmeade Candy Store.  On one of the rides I did a triple take on one of the rides when a young man sat next to me that was the spitting image of my brother Kent. I half expected him to laugh and say, "Surprise!" but it wasn't him.





Day 2: Embark! We had some mixup with a bus driver, but it was all sorted out and we left on our cruise. Exploring the cruise ship was fun, and also left me nervous with all the drinking co-eds running rampant. Luckily that atmosphere toned down quite a bit!

Day 3: We gave into the buffets and had a great time eating, watching movies, playing basketball, and hitting the onboard gym. 

While Julia, Mama K, and I had way overpriced pedicures, Keith embarked on his first experience with a deep-tissue massage. His appointment was for 6:15. When our formal dinner time came at 8:00 we had no idea where he was. After some insistent phone calls he was located in the massage room. Turns out he didn't have the best experience. The lady massaged his foot so hard that he was icing it for a few days, and he was left with a large bruise on his arm. He also endured an hour long sales pitch that we pulled him out of so we could make it to dinner. 

Day 4: We discover flourless chocolate cake. It. Was. Amazing. I became so enthralled with it and spent the next two days hunting for it on the ship. I might need to figure out the recipe. My waist line might thank me if I choose not to.

We also arrived at our first port: Cozumel, Mexico. There we hopped off the ship and were able to see the beautiful aqua blue waters, and went on a little adventure to some of the Mayan Ruins. We saw spider monkeys hanging from trees, an iguana, and learned about the Mayan culture. 


After the ruins we hopped on a bus to the beach and spent the afternoon swimming in the beautiful ocean and relaxing in the sun. It was surreal to think that we chose to live in a place as cold as Connect-i-cut when there was something this beautiful happening at the same time. While in the ocean a drunk lady approached me and spent a good 10 minutes describing all the crazy sea creatures I could see if I dove underneath the water. So I dove. There was a fish or two, but I never saw the multitude of sea horses, rays, and fish that she claimed were everywhere. Must be nice to be drunk and see such wonderful and vibrant ocean life.


That night Keith creamed us multiple times playing Wise or Otherwise. Turns out he is wise. We were all subjected to his dominating the game but his cockiness just makes me giggle. I love to see him relax and have fun.

Day 5: We traveled all night and arrived at our second port: Costa Maya, Mexico. Here we took a tour of an underwater cave. If I could pick any place in the entire world to be alone and meditate this would be it. It was one of the most beautiful places I have visited!










After our cave tour we were given shots of tequila. 


Yes, we passed on the tequila.

They also provided an amazing lunch with local cuisine. The tour guide described our two options of salsa as "Really hot" and "Made by the devil himself." Keith of course had to try that one and confirmed that it was one of the hottest things he had ever eaten.

Day 6: We wrapped up our cruise by traveling this day back to Orlando. We spent the day exploring the ship some more, went dancing, and even attended a variety show that Keith described as "Out of tune Hairography." That evening we said goodbye to the kind waiters that had served us during the cruise. The underwaitress was so enamored with Papa K that she really wanted to give him a shot of tequila as a thank you. I have never seen peer pressure like that before! It made us all laugh, but the minute she disappeared and said she would be right back we all booked it out of there. 






Day 7: We arrived back in Florida that morning and said our goodbyes. I admit that I probably should have missed my kids more during my travels, but it was such a perfect vacation that I couldn't help but just let them be and allow myself to be happy and content! 

Arriving home late that night I heard Grant cry around 4 am. I picked him up and snuggled him and changed his diaper. Then I went to get him a bottle and he woke up enough to realize that it was me holding him and oh boy! you should have seen the smile on his little face. While I was gone Lily made me and Keith a sweet little notebook full of her thoughts (including three pages with her fashion outfits she chose to wore, hairstyles included), and drawings.