Saturday, March 28, 2015

Sweet Potato Lily is Seven Already?


My Sweet Potato Lily,

It is already getting harder to remember the squish of your chubby toddler hand in mine, how you would kiss your baby dolls with your plump lips, the smooth perfect skin on your newborn face, or the way you would cling to me when you were hurt or scared. You no longer run to me for a kiss when you fall down. I see a look of determination cross your face as you brush it off and keep going, decidedly not a baby anymore. The moment that happened my heart momentarily stopped and I realized we had officially crossed from a stage and your independence had soared. You are growing up so fast and for my own selfish reasons I write these letters in hopes that I can remember the beautiful feelings I have when I see how you grow and develop from a baby to an adult. 

My heart truly is flooded with love when I look at you. Even when there are tough moments, or when I am struggling to figure out how to be your mama, I see this sweet heart full of vibrant life, energy, positive drama, love, and joy.

I watch you dance and I feel excited to see how your talent is developing. As a baby you would find anything that made music and bob and groove to the beat multiple times a day. I am excited to see that your little heart still is drawn to dancing. Daily we are invited to watch your little shows and with no intimidation you open and up and share this sacred gift with our family. This year Daddy was excited when he came up with the perfect present for you: A SPOTLIGHT! I hope that this is a talent you use through out your life to continually bring you joy. The show must go on!

Six brought it's own challenges as you navigated the world of friendship, school, a new sibling, and sharing a room for the first time. You met and lost friends, broke up with your first little boyfriend, gave him a kiss on the playground (he wasn't too happy about that one), had to say goodbye to the Magical Miss Whittaker in Kindergarten and find room in that big heart for your first grade teacher, Mrs. Wilcox. 

Six brought you adventures such as a new dance school, learning tumbling and gymnastics, beginning chapter book reading with vigor (I love you Junie B. for giving my child a best friend in a book that left her hungering for the next silly adventure), and trips to California and Pennsylvania. 

Your love of stuffed animals continues strong. When you learned the word "Ty" or "Beanie Babies" it was suddenly the cutest little obsession. I know your purple box in your closet overfloweth, but it is so important to you that I can't imagine sparing one of those little guys. 

You fiercely love both your brothers and they know it! I loved seeing the way you quickly connected with your newest brother, Grant. He sure has a thing for you! You make him laugh more than anyone with your silly antics and you are quick to protect him from the silly antics of Sawyer and watch over him. 

When Sawyer moved upstairs this year and you began sharing a room with him Daddy and I were nervous that there would be a hard transition. I cannot tell you how proud I am of you for taking on the responsibilities you have. Without being asked you often walk Sawyer downstairs to go potty in the middle of the night (he is incredibly scared of dark and shadows!), or let him crawl into bed with you in the morning, sometimes you will get up to massage his legs, and when you pray you remember to ask that Heavenly Father that Sawyer will also be spared from bad dreams. You play so patiently (most of the time) with Sawyer and have adapted to spending a huge chunk of your playtime dedicated to cars. 

You are a little golden girl! I am so lucky to call you mine! I hope God is kind enough to let me see you grow into adulthood. To see that adventures that you choose as you become the woman you were intended to be. It is an absolute honor to be a part of your journey Beautiful.

Love always,

Mommy


The following are pictures from your birthday! 

Aunt Kristen, Uncle Bryce, and William were here to celebrate the special day and Kristen even helped decorate your cake. One of our favorite families had to come of course too (the Thurbers). For your birthday you got an Elsa doll, a spotlight, new fancy pink pants, an Elsa crown, money to spend, a rainbow swimsuit, a Toys R Us gift card, a beautiful aqua dress with new shoes and matching tights and sunglasses, and a special day out with Alice to get your hair and nails all fancied up. We finished the evening watching you and Alice perform a daring dancing duet with the spotlight shining!