Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Crafty Cherie

I've been getting my craft on. My sewing machine and I haven't been getting along, pretty much since the day I tried my first sewing project on it...a cute little blue number for my brother's wedding (see pic below). We'll just say, it ended up in the garbage the one and only day I wore it (for various reasons, mostly frustration).
My cute MIL, who is a GREAT seamstress, suggested I try out something easier...like an apron. It didn't even get finished before I ended up in tears and threw not only the apron, but the pattern away as well in frustration (Keith dug it out of the garbage thinking it was only my pregnancy hormones going nuts, but I found it and threw it away again, muahaha).

I decided....I'm not a pattern girl. But I will conquer this *insert angry word* sewing machine until it cooperates or ends up on Craigslist as punishment. I decided to throw out patterns and try my own apron pattern with the leftover fabric...just enough for a little toddler sized one. Hallelujah! It wasn't a total disaster. I made a second one for another toddler too (no pics of that one...but I think it turned out cuter than my first).

Once I got my creative juices flowing I was UNSTOPPABLE. Could it be? I could sew a straight line? Why YES! My next project I took on were a couple of nursing covers for expectant friends. I even picked out fabric for my own when the first one wasn't a disaster (that's my next project). Let's face it, nothing is easier than a nursing cover. Straight lines, a little pocket for those leaky boob pads, and done! No pattern needed.





This weekend I even tried my hand at creating fabric flowers. I thought they turned out cute for a hairpiece, but I have to say they are a little bulky. I think they'd be best on a purse or canvas bag, or something fun like that.

My next DIY project? This little diddy I call my new house...(more details to come soon)