The setting: bath time, with a potty break. Lily is staring up at the ceiling.
Lily: Mommy! Itsy bitsy spider!Me: Yes. Good. A spider. Isn't it so cute and little? (I am DETERMINED that my child will not develop a fear of spiders and squeal like a ...well, a girl. No offense to those who suffer from a fear of spiders. I think they are remarkable creatures as long as they don't bite me and don't crawl into my bed.)
Lily: Uh oh. It died.
Me: No, it isn't dead. It's just sitting there.
Lily: Oh. It thinking.
Me: Yes, it must be thinking about something. (Where did she learn "thinking?")

We've also recently had a POTTY BREAKTHROUGH!!! Clap your hands and make a sound, twirl your underwear all around! We're going to do this this time.
Lily sat down the other day on the potty and said, "Mommy! I go pee pee!" I thought, "Sure ya did." and when I checked she really had gone! We did a potty dance. I cautiously let her pour it into the big potty. We wiped. We washed our hands. We got a sticker for her chart. We got a jelly bean. We hoorayed!
15 seconds later... "Mommy! I go pee pee again?" I said, "Why not? Let's try again." A few seconds later I heard the magical sound of tinkling. "Mommy! I go pee pee!" "Yes, yes you did!" We did a potty dance. I let her carry her pee pee to the big potty (a little less watchful this time). We wiped. We washed our hands. We got a sticker for her chart. We got a jelly bean. We hoorayed!
15 seconds later...the whole process was repeated. And then again. ("Geez?" you ask yourself. "How many times can this little girl empty her bladder?" I wasn't sure myself). Five times down the road, and some excited *ahem* splashing of the treasured pee-pee I decided that we had had enough practice. We put on a diaper and I breathed a sigh of relief. This is really going to happen. The potty will be conquered!!!