Friday, November 19, 2010

Lily Says the Darnest Things

Sometimes it's easy to look past how much Lily is learning and growing now that she is no longer a baby. The baby milestones are so obvious (he rolled over, he smiled, he cooed, etc.) that I sometimes forget how rapidly my little girl is learning and advancing too.
Like her daddy, this girl LOVES olives!

Most of my friends have started sending their 2 1/2 year olds off to preschool and are excited to have that time back to themselves. While there is a little part of me that wouldn't mind a few hours off a week, I can't help but feel a little sad that there are only 2 more years where she will wholly be mine to love and teach before Kindergarten starts (and whose to say I'll even send her to public schools then?). I just can't even bring myself to consider the idea of letting her go just yet. Go ahead, call me a Lily hog.

She wanted to learn how to sweep, so I gave her some acorns and let her practice.

She's getting to be quite the little wise cracker in our house and I can see her constantly processing what we're saying and regurgitating it later in conversations. She listens (dang it) too closely and picks up a lot of what I say. Here's an example of what happened the day when I explained that her beloved blanky would now remain in her bed all day long and could no longer be dragged throughout the house and in the car (the thumbsucking is messing up her teeth):


Scene: I walk in to find Lily laying in her bed, covered with blankets and looking up at the ceiling.
Me: Lily? What are you doing? Are you okay?

Lily: Oh mommy. Can you go away? I'm just SO stressed out.

Me: I'm sorry. Is there anything I can do?

Lily: No. I just need to lay here for a minute. *dramatic sigh*


Twisty pants! hehe. She got her own shopping list for the store and was so proud. "Scuze me! I gotta get me some gananas."

Scene: In the car. Lily keeps kicking the back of my seat.

Me: Lily, can you please stop kicking my seat?

Lily: kicks again

Me: Lily, you need to listen to Mommy.

Lily: Yes. Sometime I do...sometime I don't. Mommy! Those are opposites!

How can you argue with that?


Me: Lily what do you want for Christmas?

Lily: I good. I don't need anything.

Me: But if you could have just one thing, what would it be?

Lily: Um, Nanessa (my younger sister Jenessa).

Me: I'll look into that.

*My friend's little girl, Alice, asked for a rainbow for Christmas. How cute is that?


One thing that has really shocked me is her need to please Keith and I. She is such a dear heart that sometimes gets a little distracted, but in reality she already worries about how her actions are affecting others in our family. I have to be careful to not get upset at her sometimes while she is learning. We have this conversation about every other day:

Me: Lily, you've got to remember to stop playing and go potty when your body tells you to.

Lily: sitting on the potty Look! Mommy! I can do it. Look at me lellow peepees!

Me: Good job! Next time let's get ALL of the potty there.

Lily: Okay. Are you so proud of me?

Me: Yes sweetheart I am so proud of you. Good job.

Lily: Are you so happy now Mommy?

Me: hugging Lily Yes! I am so happy sweet girl.

Lily: Mommy! Come look! I made Nephi!