This really is the most wonderful time of the year. We had a wonderful Christmas this year and were able to celebrate it with our families on the West coast through the magic of Skype. I loved that we were able to open gifts with them and share our appreciation over the webcam. Some highlights:
I did one of the things I swore I never would do this year - Black Friday. There was a deal on a gift that I just couldn't pass up. Keith has purchased a lot of new tools for the home this year and he really needed a way to organize them in manly fashion. So when I saw a deal at Home Depot I drug myself out of bed and begged a nice man to help me load it in the car. Although I tried and tried, my post-baby muscles were useless against the monster of the tool chest and I finally conceded that I needed Keith’s help to drag it inside. Covering it with a sheet was the best I could do to cover it up and Keith smugly smiled that he knew what I had gotten him. I was a little sad that he knew…until Christmas Eve when I realized he had NO clue.
He mentioned to me, “I should have bought some steaks to grill tomorrow.”
I stared at him.
Crickets chirped. Huh?
Then…oh! Oh! OH! He doesn’t know I got him a tool chest! I turned my back to him to hide my smile and then said in my most disgusted Grinched over voice, “Keith, it’s kind of rude to talk about your gifts before you open them. You could at least pretend you don’t know.”
Keith laughed and said, “Then I guess I’ll just sit and think of my yummy steaks and not say another word.”
We got a good laugh when he opened it and saw that there would be no grilling.
Lily and Sawyer got sick on Christmas Eve. There was no great spiritual moment around the tree, the dinner was a little tricky since I spent most of the final prep bathing Sawyer, and trying to get them both asleep before 10:00 was difficult because they both were needing help and cuddles.
Christmas morning Lily came down and saw the dollhouse. She was so excited that we couldn’t get her to open up any other presents for the better part of an hour and a half. She ran upstairs immediately and found her Little People. We finally took her away from it to open up presents that would complete the dollhouse despite her protests (furniture, dolls, etc.).
Sawyer had no clue what was happening. He loved the little ball I got him. I bought all my presents for the kids from thrift stores. Call me cheap, but we saved a LOT of money that way and they didn’t care. It took a lot more careful searching, but I walked away with some gently used gems (including the dollhouse).
Determined to do something with my hair, I ran out a few days before Christmas to get it done after putting the kids to bed. Standing in the salon surrounded by posh-looking stylists all dressed in black, with their swanky haircuts, I took one look at myself (for the first time that day) and busted out laughing. I was wearing a white and green coat, pepto-bismal pink track pants, orange socks, and white tennis shoes. My hair was a mess on top of it and my mascara was smeared by one of my eyes. We’ll just say it wasn’t my best moment (and a reality check that I should consider buying a long mirror). I was really grateful when I got a lot of new clothes this Christmas (I wonder if Keith begged everyone to help me out?).
We were blessed to receive many thoughtful and wonderful gifts. And my fridge has been recently covered with lots of beautiful smiling faces as Christmas cards have come in! And now, the pics (Hooray for my new point and shoot camera!):
This is the only part of Lily we saw for most of Christmas morning.