Because you're wondering, I didn't make a t-shirt.
I did survive the flight, and I didn't collapse in tears afterwards.
It started out rough and I thought it was a bad omen, but it (literally) went up from there.
I stood there at the counter (curse Continental for not having curbside check-in) and hefted my bag on the scale. 53 lbs. Aw shoot. My two backpacks were loaded to the max with DVDs, toys, dolls, blankies, and enough food for 3 days of food storage. And that was the backpack I was wearing across my chest. On my back was Lily's 75 lb. car seat (yes, you read right). Surely this woman would have some compassion on me and sneak that extra 3 lbs. through.
Nope.
As I pulled item and item out of my bag and stuffed it in my overloaded backpack I couldn't help but glare at her. Hefting the luggage back onto the scale I smiled when I saw it read 50.5 lbs. Good enough.
Not for her.
That's when I got a little snippy. "Really? Really? You can't handle .5 lbs?"
"Yes, I sure can but it will be an extra $75."
I won't share with you the un-choice thoughts going through my head, but for the sake that my children were closely watching my next moves, I grumbled as I pulled my curling iron out of the bag. When she refused to give Keith a pass to help me to the gate I almost sat down then and there to start a Continental Airline Strike, but seeing as how that wouldn't help anything I told her I needed assistance and I would wait until she found me some.
And I did wait. And she went and found me some assistance.
After that everything was much better and I once again was full of remarkable gratitude that the majority of mankind are still kind and good and see a mother trying to handle too much and step in to help. Sawyer slept for the first 1.5 hours in the carseat (Blessed carseats on airplanes. Totally worth lugging those extra 75 lbs. around.). When he woke, I fed him then put Lily in the carseat and she slept for another 1.5 hours while Sawyer walked up and down the aisles, flirting with the ladies on the plane. When we landed I was smiling, which was the biggest miracle of all!
More updates to come!
I did survive the flight, and I didn't collapse in tears afterwards.
It started out rough and I thought it was a bad omen, but it (literally) went up from there.
I stood there at the counter (curse Continental for not having curbside check-in) and hefted my bag on the scale. 53 lbs. Aw shoot. My two backpacks were loaded to the max with DVDs, toys, dolls, blankies, and enough food for 3 days of food storage. And that was the backpack I was wearing across my chest. On my back was Lily's 75 lb. car seat (yes, you read right). Surely this woman would have some compassion on me and sneak that extra 3 lbs. through.
Nope.
As I pulled item and item out of my bag and stuffed it in my overloaded backpack I couldn't help but glare at her. Hefting the luggage back onto the scale I smiled when I saw it read 50.5 lbs. Good enough.
Not for her.
That's when I got a little snippy. "Really? Really? You can't handle .5 lbs?"
"Yes, I sure can but it will be an extra $75."
I won't share with you the un-choice thoughts going through my head, but for the sake that my children were closely watching my next moves, I grumbled as I pulled my curling iron out of the bag. When she refused to give Keith a pass to help me to the gate I almost sat down then and there to start a Continental Airline Strike, but seeing as how that wouldn't help anything I told her I needed assistance and I would wait until she found me some.
And I did wait. And she went and found me some assistance.
After that everything was much better and I once again was full of remarkable gratitude that the majority of mankind are still kind and good and see a mother trying to handle too much and step in to help. Sawyer slept for the first 1.5 hours in the carseat (Blessed carseats on airplanes. Totally worth lugging those extra 75 lbs. around.). When he woke, I fed him then put Lily in the carseat and she slept for another 1.5 hours while Sawyer walked up and down the aisles, flirting with the ladies on the plane. When we landed I was smiling, which was the biggest miracle of all!
More updates to come!