Saturday, July 30, 2011

Soyboy Turns One




Sweet, littlish Soyboy has hit that milestone we refer to as the first birthday (check out the link to see his actual birth day). And he did it in style! Lucky little duck was blessed to have BOTH sets of grandparents, Aunt Julia, and Uncle Mark. Daddy (Keith) flew in to Idaho to make sure that the mud pie met his expectations.



It has been such a blessing having this little guy in my life. He makes me smile and giggle every day and is hitting all his milestones with such exuberance and comedy. He is determined to make us laugh and cringe and also see what he can get away with. The word “No.” to him I think means, “You're on! See if you can beat me lady!” A common scene in our house entails the following:

Sawyer noticing that the bathroom door has been left ajar.

Mommy noticing that Sawyer is taking off for said bathroom.

“No, Sawyer, come here please!” Mommy sings.

Sawyer turns around, grins wickedly and takes off giggling, as fast as he can.




Howling ensues when I grab him. He starts to kick and arch his back, so I put him down, standing. Cautiously he lowers his body to the floor, head always placed on the floor with such gentle care. When he is sure that he is safely situated the tantrum can then begin.

Is it so wrong that I laugh?


He started walking with lurching steps at 11 months and 1 week. When we left for Washington Keith had witnessed those few exciting steps which he performed with a giant grin on his face. By the time we met up with Keith in Idaho 2 weeks later he was toddling around like a pro.

At 12 months he came in at 25.4 lb (75%) and was 31.2 in (90%). He’s starting to slim out just a wee bit, but may have to endure us squeezing his cute chubby cheeks and thighs for just a bit longer.


Since the introduction of finger foods he wants nothing to do with being served food and continually cries until we hand over the spoon, determined to get that food into his body all by himself. He also loves to hand me his food and say “Dane-doo!” (thank you).


Around his 11th month we sat down as a family to say grace on dinner. During the prayer I peeked (What can I say? I hate to not see what’s going on.) and saw little Sawyer sitting there with his arms folded and his eyes closed. How cute can you get little man? Since that I have noticed that he seems to be working hard to keep up with his older sister, and they are starting to get along and play together splendidly at times. Now that he is walking he follows her all over the house and makes sure she knows he wants to play too.


One of his favorite things to do is play in the dishwasher. As soon as I open it to put something in he runs over, sits on the lid, and goes to town trying to pull everything he can out before I stop him. He also loves to play with cars, stick EVERYTHING in his mouth (oh dear goose poop, that was the worst so far), play with whatever Lily has previously touched, read books, push buttons on anything and everything, and pull the safety tabs out of the light sockets (don’t worry, he puts them back in too, so we’ve only lost one so far).


My favorite thing about him? Aside from those big blue eyes and his hilarious expressions, he is such a cuddle bug. He wants to be held and rest his head on your shoulder whenever he gets a chance. He checks in often and won’t move on until he’s had his moment of love and then he gets on about his business.


What an angel straight from heaven I have been given to raise. I feel blessed to be his mommy and watch this life’s journey he has embarked upon.

I love you Sawyer!